Trafficking Cheat Sheet
Human Trafficking is
COMPELLED SERVICE / EXPLOITATION
achieved through force or fraud or coercion.
Contrary to popular beliefs, physical force is not the only means of keeping a person in bondage. Chains can be psychological as well.
- Beating and slapping
- Beating with objects (bat, tools, chains, belts, hangers, canes, cords)
- Sexual assault
- Rape and gang rape
- Confinement and physical restraint
- False promises
- Deceitful enticing and affectionate behavior
- Lying about working conditions
- Lying about the promise of a better life, “selling a dream”
Men often lure women into their trap with a false romance, enticing them to believe that they are in a loving relationship, often including talks of marriage. This, however, is a common scheme to gain control of a woman for the purpose of sexually exploiting her. Little does she know she is one of many. Women can lure men with false affectionate too, leading them down a trap until they find themselves being exploited and facing serious consequences if they try to leave.
- Threats of serious harm or restraint
- Intimidation and humiliation
- Creating a climate of fear
- Enforcement of trivial demands
- Occasional Indulgences
- Intense manipulation
- Emotional abuse
- Creating dependency and fear of independence
Threats of serious harm can include threats against other people in the victim’s life, harm to the victim’s business or reputation, threats of serious consequences in the afterlife, threats built around a victim’s superstitions, threats of cursing a city, or any other kind of threat that creates fear that disobeying would result in serious consequences to the victim or others.
This quiz was created by Voices for Dignity.
SOURCE Material: The Polaris Project
Or, GO HERE.